Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Fiction Packet # 3

Fiction packet number #3 was assigned for this week. The Singing Fish is originally from a book and I looked at each part as a chapter. The language seemed as if it was translated because it didn't necessarily make sense at each part. The first sentence is a great example of how the text is translated, "One night Girl is so sound asleep sleeping that her sleeping body.." (page 8). That sentence is terribly written and not a good attention getter at all. I'm not sure why we are spending so much time analyzing these boring and poorly written articles, I expected to enjoy at least SOME of the readings we did. The sentences lose you because they are so repetitive and confusing for example, "There are these words there, too - these words - they have got to be words" (page 8). That sentence is incorrect in every way. Why is girl capitalized? is it someones name or are they doing it for emphasis? I was very unimpressed reading this article.

Falling Girl had great diction and visual. The first two paragraphs did a good job at catching my attention, I found it interesting how in the beginning of the article she was 19 and at the end she was an old women. I took this as time flies by without us even noticing, I felt as if the women was not necessarily "falling" but more so a metaphor for "falling". When I started reading this I thought that she was trying to committee suicide but as I read further I noticed it was more of a lifecycle being explained, possibly a midlife crisis? I say this because in the middle of the article she says, "She spitefully noticed that another girl was falling about thirty meters above her. She was decidedly prettier than Marta and she wore a rather classy evening gown" (page 32). She seems upset as she compared herself to other people and it leads me to believe that she is feeling like time passed too quickly and she wishes she wasn't becoming so old.

I don't like these packets, they are not good pieces of writing or something that are enjoyable to read. Maybe i'm the only person who feels that way, but this packet seems as if it is written by a child and I know i'm not the only one who agrees with that fact. I want to be a journalist and was hoping this class would teach me about creative writing or how to be a better writer; quite frankly, I am very disappointed in all of these packets and readings.

No comments:

Post a Comment